Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tack Sale

One of the tack sales sites I belonged to mentioned that one of the girls who was selling her tack gave her tack on trial to a potential buyer, and three weeks later, can't get the person to answer her. I would think that most people would be able to avoid this with a little due diligence and healthy mistrust of strangers, but sometimes the thrill of some cash for our stuff gets in the way. A few ways to avoid these problems in the future:
  Go through a tack store. Now this will cut into your profit as said tack store will most likely want a cut which can range from 5 or more percent. But always ask about this up front along with the price they plan to put on your merchandise. And sometimes a high traffic tack store is worth a little loss in cash if your looking to unload stuff in a hurry
   Deal with friends. I personally have tack from a friend who is trying to sell, and I can guarantee that I will be giving it back if I can't find a buyer.
   Get a down payment. If I was going to be selling any of my tack, and a buyer wanted to take it for a trial, I would get a check for half the amount of the tack. And I am not saying you have to deposit the check, but if for some reason you don't get your stuff back, at least you have half the amount. Most tack shops do something similar. You could always call one and ask their procedure...  ;)
   Get some ID! If you get a down payment you should make sure you have a drivers license number, telephone number, and address written on a check.

When you sell most big items written documentation is required from both parties, so why not something worth a few hundred dollars? A bill of sale could go a long way in minimizing a further issue, and considering its tack and could be described different ways, you can always take a few pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment